This is one of my favorite breakfasts. And all the more so because of the ingredients, and the farmers and ranchers who raise and grow the plants and animals that feed me. Dr. Cowan's powders come from the next county over, but that is close enough for me! And of course, the plantains come from very far away... but how fortunate are we to have the ability to add these staples to our diet?
I hope you enjoy sourcing, making and eating this meal as much as I do.
Fried Plantain Hash, Local Grown Swiss Chard & Ground Pork, & Dr. Cowan’s Garden Powders
Serves 1 (double, triple, etc., the amounts for each additional person)
Please use organic and local if possible!
1 tbls of lard (butter, ghee, or coconut oil)
1 green plantain
2 cups of fresh Swiss Chard, shredded
4 oz of pasture raised ground pork
1/2 tsp of ground fennel seeds
1 tsp of Dr. Cowan’s Garden Threefold Blend Powder (or any other favorite DCGPs that you have on hand and wish to use)
1/4 tsp of Dr. Cowan’s Garden Leek Salt (and a bit more to sprinkle on plantains and Swiss Chard when ready to serve)
- Heat the fat in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet over med-high heat.
- Shred the plantain on a cheese grater and add to the heated fat. Allow one side to crisp before turning with a spatula.
- While the plantains are cooking mix the fennel and DCGPs into the pork sausage and make two small patties about 1/4 inch thick.
- When both sides of the plantains are crispy brown, move them to the side of the pan and add the sausage patties, 3 to 5 minutes per side until meat is well done.
- At the very end, add in the Swiss Chard and stir well into the remaining fat and juices to wilt the Swiss Chard.
- When done, remove all three and put on your plate, sprinkling the chard and plantain hash with some of DCG Leek Salt.
Here are the links to those who provided me with these wonderful staples to start my day!
Heather, of Heather's Custom Meats is hosting a Ranch Tour on Sunday, May 28th that includes a catered dinner by Local Dish! You can reserve your ticket for what I know will be a delightful event HERE!